- Bonding Opportunities: With colder temperatures and limited daylight, winter provides ample opportunities for groups to bond and spend quality time together. Winter activities often encourage groups to come together and strengthen their relationships.
- Break from the Routine: Winter can be a busy time of year, with holiday obligations and inclement weather making daily life hectic. A group retreat during this time provides an escape from the routine and an opportunity to recharge and refresh.
- Scenic Beauty: Winter landscapes can be stunning, with white snow and frosty forests creating a picturesque backdrop for group activities. Whether you're enjoying the beauty from the warmth of a cozy cabin or outside braving the colder temperatures, the scenery is sure to remind you of the beauty of the Creator and invite you to unplug for a little while.
- Dedicated Time for Reflection: Winter provides a natural pause in the calendar, making it an ideal time for groups to reflect and plan for the future. With a dedicated space and time to focus, groups can identify goals, discuss challenges, and develop strategies to move forward.
- Affordable Accommodations: Many retreat centers offer lower rates during the winter months, making this time of year a more budget-friendly option for group retreats. With reduced demand, groups can often secure more favorable rates and take advantage of the savings.
Winter Retreat Activities
Whether you're looking for a day trip or an overnight adventure, Camp Tekoa Retreats has something for everyone. While the weather in western North Carolina can be somewhat unpredictable, average winter temperatures still allow for outdoor adventures. Here are five activity ideas for your winter retreat.
1. Winter Hiking
With miles of trails to explore, Camp Tekoa Retreats visitors can enjoy the spectacular mountain scenery as they hike the outer campsite loop, take a stroll around the lake, enjoy the challenging Eagle trail, or contemplatively stroll on our meditation trail. For those looking for even more trails, there are numerous hiking areas nearby, with trails of all different skill levels.
2. S’mores Around the Campfire
This classic winter activity is perfect for groups and is sure to bring back memories of childhood campfires. Our campfire circle, situated near the lake, seats 250 people and is a great spot for groups to gather for worship, campfire songs, or roasting s’mores.
3. Group Meals
There is something special about sharing a meal with friends, and Camp Tekoa Retreats’ dining hall can serve as a home away from home for your group with its industrial coffee and tea makers, portable tables, and wooden chairs. Meals can be prepared by your group in the industrial kitchen, or we can provide meal service for groups of over 75 people.
4. High or Low Ropes
Camp Tekoa Retreats’ challenge courses are available for groups year-round and will foster personal growth, confidence building, and teamwork among participants. The high ropes course is situated at thirty-five feet in the air and features several challenge-by-choice elements. Our staff will facilitate as your group works through the low elements challenge course.
5. Worship and Reflection
Nestled within the Blue Ridge Mountains, you only need to step outside to witness the beauty of God’s creation at Camp Tekoa. Spending time in nature allows us to connect with God’s creation and grow closer to God.
Our gathering spaces, including the Chapel in the Woods, Campfire Circle, Laurel Back Porch, and Open-Air Pavilion, are conducive to creating meaningful worship experiences in which participants are reminded of God’s love and glory by observing His creativity in nature.
What Does Camp Tekoa Retreats Have to Offer?
Located in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, Camp Tekoa Retreats hosts groups year-round. Camp Tekoa Retreats boasts an abundance of on-site trails for various skill levels, an outdoor chapel, and an idyllic lake. At Camp Tekoa Retreats, we have lodges for large and small groups or families. Other features and activities of Camp Tekoa Retreats, which you can take advantage of when you schedule a retreat with us, include the following:
- Four Hundred Foot Zipline
- High Ropes Course
- Giant Swing
- Bouldering Wall
- Low Elements Challenge Course
- Tree Climbing
- Nine Hole Disc Golf Course
- Basketball Courts
- Bungo Ball
What Winter Attractions Are Nearby?
In addition to the on-site adventures, Camp Tekoa Retreats is located near a number of area attractions. Tekoa can serve as a home base for groups as they visit Hendersonville, Asheville, Brevard, Flat Rock, or one of the other charming western NC towns. America’s largest home, the Biltmore Estate, offers tours year-round with several miles of nature trails, vibrant orchids in the conservatory, and art exhibitions.
For those wanting to enjoy the outdoors by hiking, biking, or going on a scenic drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Dupont State Forest, Pisgah National Forest, and Chimney Rock State Park are all close. Winter sports enthusiasts can go snow tubing at Moonshine Mountain Snow Tubing Park or travel to one of the area’s three ski resorts for skiing and snowboarding.
Book a Retreat at Camp Tekoa Retreats
For more information about Camp Tekoa Retreats, its facilities, and its program offerings, or to book your next retreat, contact us or visit our website.