Small groups are great, but it can take a while to really break the ice and begin bonding together. However, forming that tight-knit bond is necessary to become the community you want to be. Is there a way to jump-start that process?
Yes! Small group retreats are the perfect way to break the ice and build the trust you need to really start doing life together. Hosting your small group retreat with Tekoa Retreats in the North Carolina mountains will help you gel and grow as a group.
Here’s what you need to know about how to have a great small group retreat in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
Tekoa Retreats Hendersonville, NC
Camp Tekoa is a summer camp and conference center located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, near Hendersonville. Tekoa is owned and operated by the Western NC Conference of the United Methodist Church. We welcome small group retreats from any denomination. Our mission is "Touching hearts, changing lives, sharing the light of Christ."
How to Have a Great Small Group Retreat
A few keys to having a great small group retreat include:
1) Limiting Travel Distance: The shorter the drive, the more time you have to spend retreating. You don’t have to go far and wide to find great retreat facilities. Tekoa Retreats is convenient to many communities in the Carolinas and Tennessee:
- Tekoa Retreats is only 40-minutes from Asheville
- Tekoa Retreats is within about two hours from Charlotte, Greenville, Boone, Blowing Rock, and Hickory.
- Tekoa Retreats is within three to four hours of Columbia, Winston-Salem, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Raleigh.
2) Great Facilities: The following are some of the features of a great retreat center:
- Being in nature has a calming and energizing effect on people.
- Views of the mountains, such as those found in western North Carolina, serve as a reminder to your small group that they are worshiping a huge God.
- You want to choose a retreat center with clean, comfortable lodgings. It's always a plus to have a cabin with a great porch or terrace.
- For your group activities, you'll need a retreat facility with high-quality, practical facilities.
- A commercial kitchen is ideal for preparing your own meals and keeping costs down if numerous small parties are retreating at the same time.
- Putting each other through exciting activities might help you bond. A retreat center with add-on activities such as a zipline, climbing tower, lake sports, high ropes course, and so on provides opportunities for your small group to engage in team-building.
- A campfire circle is the ideal setting for helping your small group open up.
3) Leadership: A small group retreat must have leaders who are open and honest, able to plan ahead, and willing to engage in adventure.
4) Prayer: Any small group retreat worth attending will be thoroughly prayed over.
5) Preparation: When it comes to planning your small group retreat, the sooner, the better. You want to make sure you get the venue you want, the dates you need and have time to plan all the little details.
Small Group Retreats at Tekoa
Camp Tekoa offers all you need for your next retreat! Camp Tekoa is the ideal location for your group, with an abundance of on-site activities and countless off-site options. Contact our team for more information about Tekoa Retreats. We'd be delighted to answer your questions and assist you in planning your next small group retreat.