Christians may choose to participate in a retreat for a number of reasons, including the following:
- A need to get away from the stressors of daily life such as work, school, or relationships
- In order to refocus on God and spend time with him
- To spend time in community with other believers who are struggling with similar issues
- To pray and meditate on God’s Word
- Spiritual growth
- To seek guidance from the Lord and godly wisdom from other Christians
Christian retreats will look different depending on the goals of the group leaders. Some may focus on personal reflection, while others may focus on the growth of the group as a whole.
Elements of a Christian Retreat
Although the schedule and logistics of Christian retreats will vary based on a number of factors, here are five aspects you can expect will show up throughout most retreats.
- Prayer: As Christians, prayer is an important spiritual discipline. Prayer times may be personal, split into smaller groups, or there may be corporate prayer times. If the retreat has a specific topic or theme, prompts may be provided by group leaders in order to guide the direction of the prayers.
- Music: Corporate worship through song is one way Christians can refocus on God, which is why this element is frequently included in Christian retreats.
- Community: With the trinity as our example, Christians are called to unity with one another. Retreats often schedule time for participants to get to know each other better and form deeper connections. Ideally, after the retreat ends, the bonds formed will carry over into everyday life.
- Quiet: The very definition of the word “Retreat” calls for silence. In a culture where busyness is the norm, there is a need for rest and quiet. As Scripture says in Psalm 46:10, “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth!”
- Growth: You can expect to experience growth in your relationships with others and with God on a Christian retreat. You will likely spend time listening to speakers teach God’s word, which will increase your knowledge of who God is and help you gain a better understanding of His Character.
What Does the Bible Say About Retreats?
The concept of Christians retreating is not a new one, as we see it modeled throughout Scripture. Here are a few mentions from the Bible of retreat, rest, and renewal.
- Mark 6:31- “And he said to them, ‘Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.’ For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat.”
- Psalm 23:1-3- “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”
- Acts 1:14- “All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
- Isaiah 30:15- “For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, ‘In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”
Additionally, Scripture gives us several examples of Jesus himself taking time to retreat for prayer and rest.
- Mark 1:35- “And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.”
- Mark 6:46- “And after he had taken leave of them, he went up on the mountain to pray.”
- Luke 5:16- “But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.”
- Luke 6:12- “In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.”
Why Should I Choose Camp Tekoa for my Christian Retreat?
Located in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, Camp Tekoa is the ideal location for your Christian retreat. With a number of lodging options and indoor and outdoor meeting spaces, our facilities can accommodate groups of various sizes.
Camp Tekoa boasts an abundance of on-site trails for various skill levels, an outdoor chapel, and an idyllic lake. Retreat participants can enjoy God’s creation and will have no trouble finding a quiet spot to rest and reflect.
Book Tekoa Retreats
For more information about Camp Tekoa, its facilities, and its program offerings, or to book your next retreat, contact us or visit our website.